Essay writing is an important part of the XAT Exam especially because it is conducted along with the main exam. The XAT 2018 exam is scheduled to take place on 7th January 2018 and with 1 months in hand to prepare for the exam, shortlisting important topics for essay writing can be tough. In Paper 2, topics related to General Knowledge and Essay Writing are asked to test your writing ability along with speed and accuracy. In order to save your time from the last minute hassles of selecting the important topics for the XAT exam, we have compiled a list of top 25 Essay topics for XAT 2018. Remember that Paper 2 comprises of 25 marks and needs to be attempted in 35 minutes. The 25 marks alloted to section can help you score a high percentile among the competitors aspiring to get a seat in XLRI.
Take a look at all the topics are categorized in 5 sections so that you can cover them conveniently. Most essay writing topics are from the current happenings that occured in the year 2017:
1. ISRO MOM Mission: Our low-cost Mars Orbiter Mission completes three years in its Martian orbit. The good news arrived when India on 24 September 2014 successfully placed the Mars Orbiter Mission spacecraft in the orbit around the red planet. The government had in November last said the space organisation was seeking scientific proposals for Mars Orbiter Mission-2 to expand inter-planetary research. As this was one of the very important milestones achieved by India in the field of science and tech, you can expect this topic in the upcoming XAT Essay.
2. Right to Privacy: Supreme Court (SC) recent passed a ruling stating that ‘privacy’ is a fundamental right because it is intrinsic to the right to life. The bench said that ‘Right to Privacy is an integral part of Right to Life and Personal Liberty guaranteed in Article 21 of the Constitution.’ This ruling came to being after Centre's move to make Aadhaar mandatory for availing the benefits of various social welfare schemes. As per the nine bench of judges “any law which is made to restrict this fundamental right will have to be examined on the touchstone of Article 21 which means that the court will have to see if that law imposes reasonable restrictions on your right to privacy or not."
3. Triple Talaq: Both the Koran and the Hadith spell out the rights of Muslim women. They also clearly lay down the procedure for talaq, a lengthy one which carries enough scope for reconciliation before a complete termination of marriage. As per the recent judgment the court said that until the government formulates a law regarding triple talaq, there would be an injunction against husbands pronouncing triple talaq on their wives.
4. Cow Slaughter Ban: Article 48 of the Constitution of India mandates the state to prohibit the slaughter of cows and calves and other milch and draught cattle. On 26 May 2017, the Ministry of Environment of Indian Central Government led by Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) imposed a ban on the sale of cows and buffaloes for slaughter at animal markets across India. Read about its impact on the businesses of people dealing in dairy products.
5. Clean India Movement: Union Minister of Culture Mahesh Sharma launched the Swachh Bharat App with an aim to involve people actively to become part of Swachh Bharat Abhiyan (Clean India Movement) in National Museum, Delhi. Once the App is installed and opened, it will ask the user to take photograph of the garbage and write the comment and just submit.
6. Concept of New India: India is the third largest economy with a robust, fast growing market for goods and services. New India is one concept that comprehensively caters to all the recent changes that have somersaulted the otherwise smooth growth of all the sectors of economy. While preparing for these topics do not miss out on including the concepts of Inclusive India, Digital India, Investor-friendly India, Skill India, Transforming India and many more.
XAT 2018: Best Books to prepare for the Exam
7. GST Reforms and impact on Indian Economy: Goods and Services Tax (GST), the biggest reform in India’s indirect tax structure that was initiated to streamline the complex tax structure of Indian economy has lately forced many companies to restructure their operations. There are several aspects which still remains untouched from the purview of GST such as whether gifts and perquisites provided free of charge by an employer to an employee can be subjected to GST. Hopefully, the GST regime is able to revive the economic growth. So all the XAT aspirants, be prepared to write an essay on the pros and cons of GST implementation in Indian economy.
8. Indian Economic Slowdown: India’s GDP growth slumped to a three-year low of 5.7 percent in the first quarter of the current fiscal year. GST regime that was planned to boost the pace of economic growth is at present roadblocks to various stakeholders. For a government that had promised to turn around the economy through decisive governance, this must serve as a wake-up call. For the XAT Essay, be prepared to answer how can growth be revived or what are the reasons for the current slowdown in the economy.
9. Bad bank and NPA Issue: India’s banking system is passing through a critical phase. At present, Rs 10 lakh crore worth of stressed assets, loan growth is stuttering at near six decades-low levels and lending rates are still stubbornly high. Thus, finance ministry and Reserve Bank of India are trying their best to salvage banks from the menace of NPAs. To bring an end to all these problems, a proposal has been forwarded to set up a “bad bank” that will absorb all the bad loans of commercial banks and cleanse the banking system. However, NITI Aayog vice chairman Arvind Panagariya is averse to the idea. The current essay will check your knowledge base upon the pros and cons of setting up the bad bank for the Indian banking system.
10. One Belt, One Road Summit: The One Belt, One Road (OBOR) Summit or Belt and Road Initiative (BRI) concluded on 15 May 2017 in Beijing, China. 68 countries and international organisations have signed belt and road agreements with China. India’s concern is China-Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC), which passes through Pakistan-Occupied Kashmir (PoK).
11. Demonitisation and its Impact on Indian Economy: On 8 November 2016, Government of India enacted the policy of demonetising INR 500 and INR 1000 rupee currency notes. While preparing for the purpose of XAT essay writing, focus on the fact that which sectors of Indian economy are the worst hit ones and which ones have outshined. Also read about the pros and cons of this policy in both long and short run. Find out more about the case here.
12. Cashless Economy: Cashless India or an economy with lower cash transactions seems unreal considering the older picture of Indian payment system. But, the current scenario is deviating Indian economy towards a cashless future! Non-cash transactions with the mediums such as Banking cards, USSD, AEPS, UPI, Mobile Wallets, Banks Pre-Paid Cards, Point of Sale, Internet Banking, Mobile Banking, Micro ATM’s have resulted in forcing us to go cashless. In the wake of this issue, read and find out all the government schemes that motivates an individual to go for cashless transactions.
13. Launch of Google Tez: Finally Google has also entered the Indian landscape of making digital payments with the launch of its mobile wallet app. In fact Tez also offers a B2B feature called ‘Tez for Business’, which allows merchants to get their business on Tez app. With existing 20 leading payment app brands such as BHIM, Paytm, Freecharge etc. in India, do you think Tez will be able to capture the Indian market?
14. Flipkart and Snapdeal merger: The long standing deal between the two e-tailers is in the news for various reasons. The Japanese investor, SoftBank has had a critical role to play with its 900 million investments in Snapdeal, marking its foothold in India. On the other hand, a completed merger between these two giants will give rise to one of the largest e-commerce start-ups in the country. So do you think that in the era of consolidation, arch rivals Flipkart and Amazon can change the scenario of e-commerce industry of India.
15. Indian Telecome Industry and Reliance Jio: Reliance Jio’s entry has changed the landscape of the Indian telecom industry drastically. Reliance Industries Limited (RIL) announced the launch of its 4G LTE feature phone called ‘Jio Phone’. With the advent of the revolution brought by Jio, do you think the internet will be accessible to every Indian? Do you also think that Reliance Jio will force other telecom players to go for market consolidation to tap the customer base?
16. Blue Whale Game and social media’s impact on younger generation: The Blue Whale Game aims to push vulnerable youngsters into taking their own lives. But how this game became popular over night? Did technology and individualism take its toll on the younger generation of India as well? The vicious viral game has spread online via social media accounts. Should parents become more vigilant towards the activities in which their kids are getting involved? Get ready to answer all these aspects if in case you get this topic in the XAT Essay.
17. Asia-Africa Growth Corridor: Asia-Africa Growth Corridor or AAGC is an economic cooperation agreement between the governments of India and Japan. When recently Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe’s arrived India for an annual summit, launch of Asia-Africa Growth Corridor (AAGC) was seen as an an alternative to the One-Belt-One-Road (OBOR) initiative of China. Trade Facilitation is a major component of AAGC Framework. When preparing for the XAT Essay, touch upon the strategic importance of AAGC from trade point of view for Indian economy.
18. Kulbhushan Jadhav case on Jamaat-i-Islami: The International Court of Justice's (ICJ) stayed hanging of former Indian Navy officer Kulbhushan Jadhav, who faced death sentence in Pakistan. India took the matter to the ICJ, citing that it had been repeatedly denied consular access to Jadhav in violation of the provisions of the Vienna Convention. Indian was in the interest of saving the life of an Indian citizen, who is in “illegal detention” and whose “life is under threat”. When preparing for the XAT Essay, keep a complete check on the information as to what is Vienna Convention and will India be able to give sufficient arguments in facour of Jadhav to save him?
19. Paris Climate Agreement: Paris Agreement is an international agreement to combat climate change. 32-page Paris agreement with 29 articles is widely recognized as a historic deal to stop global warming. In the contemporary context this topic holds relevance because of the most powerful economies of the world i.e. ‘USA’ will not renegotiate the Paris Accord, but they (will) try to review the terms on which they could be engaged under this agreement.
20. Rohingyas: The Myanmar Government says that Rohingya people are not Burmese citizens – but the Rohingya have been living in Myanmar for generations. Today, they are a people with no home or citizenship. At present, India supported the discussion in the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) on the 'Responsibility to Protect' and the prevention of genocide, war crimes, ethnic cleansing, and crimes against Rohingyas
21. Cyber Security in Indian IT: After the Ransomware attack, cyber security of Indian IT sector has become a big question. Most of the ransomware was spread hidden within Word documents, PDFs and other files normally sent via email. It is also being called WanaCrypt0r 2.0, Wanna Decryptor 2.0, WCry 2, WannaCry 2 and Wanna Decryptor 2. WannaCry is asking for $300 worth of Bitcoin to unlock the contents of the computers.
MBA General Awareness Study Material eBook
22. FIFA U-17 World Cup: Although it is the first time that India got the golden opportunity to host the major event in the nation, but the big question is that is our infrastructure sound enough to organize the event successfully?
23. The Pitch debate: The state of pitches to be laid out in the Test series against New Zealand has thrown up interesting reactions from Indian cricketers. India had produced spin tracks against South Africa last year, and even won a Test against South Africa. With such a spinner friendly pitch and spinners, we indeed have an edge in the match. So get ready to answer whether there should be rules and regulations set against this aspect as well?
24. Women’s World cup: India women’s cricket proved their mettle with the marvelous performance on the pitch and stood second worldwide. Find out the facts that have positioned Indian to another level when women cricket comes into picture.
25. Davis Cup controversy: Considering the role of Tennis Association in the Davis cup, every year there is some or other form of controversy that spoils the sportsmanship spirit of the sport. This year as well one controversy made its way amidst the game. Every player has the right to choose his partner for the doubles match. In the last match when Rohan Bopanna chose to play with Mahesh Bhupathi, his decision was not accepted by the association. Rather, Leander Paes was instead given the final call by association to play the match with Rohan Bopanna. Taking a look at this situation, be prepared to answer the role of association in the match, should they interfere with the privileges that rest with the players?
The above listed Top 25 Essay topics for XAT 2018 will ease your efforts to scout for important topics. All the topics are relevant for the Paper 2 and can be asked in any form. So be prepared to know everything about the landmark events and score well in the GK section of XAT 2018.
Best of Luck for XAT 2018
XAT 2018: Find Eligibility Criteria, Important dates and Exam Pattern
Ideal number of attempts to score a good percentile in XAT 2018
Virginia Kearney 3 days agofrom United States
Elvira, if your topic is about a person with potenital, you are probably not doing a problem solution essay. You are writing a reflection essay and I have an article which gives all of the instructions you will need, including information about how to do the introduction. Here is the link to that article:https://owlcation.com/humanities/How-to-Write-a-Re...
Elvira 3 days ago
How can I start writing my essay topic is about Aperson with potential.I don't know how to start.can you please help me?
Virginia Kearney 3 weeks agofrom United States
Kanika--It is a good idea to turn your topic into a question and an answer. Here are some examples:
What is the effect of divorce on young children (or teenagers or college students)? Your answer would be your thesis. Another topic idea could be:
What is the effect of divorce on men (or women)?
What is the effect of divorce on a person's work? See my article on how to write a cause effect paper.
Kanika 3 weeks ago
Can you help me to find topic sentence on,Effect of divorce?
Virginia Kearney 4 weeks agofrom United States
Sayed Abid sadat 4 weeks ago
Hi! I need your help to select my topic on information technology to write my artical. thank you
Virginia Kearney 6 weeks agofrom United States
Hi Mr. Johnson, I have everything you might need for writing a college essay on my website. You can look on my profile page or search for my articles on: choosing a topic; writing a thesis and topic sentences; how to organize and write different kinds of essays; using commas and semicolons correctly; easy words to use as sentence starters to write better essays and much more. I have over 100 articles about writing to help you out!
Dick Johnson 6 weeks ago
Hi! I Have An Assignment I Have To Do In My College Class On Friday And I Was Looking For Some Advise! Thanks!
Richard Cranium 6 weeks ago
This website helped my child with her homework.
Virginia Kearney 7 weeks agofrom United States
I have many articles on different subjects for you to look at. Many of the ones in this article would work fine but you can also look at my articles which are specifically for high school students. A good paper idea is one that interests you and it will be easier to write if you immediately can think of your opinion on that topic and some examples you can use from your own life, something you've read, current news or an example from literature, a movie or another video.
Stupid Pickle 7 weeks ago
I have to write an essay for English is there any topics that you would recommend for a high school freshman
tommy wensyel 2 months ago
this article was very helpful and it wasn t bias my english teacher wanted us to write an essay. it was really helpful i got a lot of good ideas
Jawaher 2 months ago
How can get out bad relationship
Virginia Kearney 3 months agofrom United States
Hi Trang--I have a lot of information to help you write your paper. Look for my articles about how to write argument, problem solution and proposal papers. In order to discuss two solutions, you just need to think about two possible answers to the question that have not yet been done. For example, in the question "How can students get enough good sleep each night?" two good answers that are equal would be: making a schedule for work and sleep, and using a technology device like a cell phone or fitbit that tracks sleep patterns.
Trang Phan 3 months ago
my writing teacher asks me to choose a pro-solution topic that is practically related to student life. After that i have to draw out two solutions which are equal to each other.It means that both of them can not be currently done. it seems so difficult
sssssss 4 months ago
How can healthcare be ensured for everyone around the world?
Damtaodu 5 months ago
How do one respond to new challenges and adapting to a different environment, living without familiar amenities, interacting with new and different types of people and studying intensively among others.
Virginia Kearney 6 months agofrom United States
Hi Kashymawoh--I'm glad you've decided on a topic for your essay. You can find everything you need to know about writing it by looking at my other articles on writing problem solution essays and writing argument essays. If you don't see the link for that, search in my profile, which you can find on the top right of the page.
kashymawoh 6 months ago
hi Virginia, i am writing an essay on solving unemployment issues in Nigeria, kindly assist me.
Virginia Kearney 7 months agofrom United States
Hi Cassandra! After you choose your topic, be sure to look at my article about how to write a solution essay. I give all the instructions you should need. If you want help revising or with punctuation, you can find articles on those topic too.
Cassandra Pines 7 months ago
I need to write a 6-7 page essay about a social movement. I don't know how to start
Virginia Kearney 9 months agofrom United States
Hi, Sparsh, Your best help would be to look at my other articles about how to write problem solution essays and argument essays. You might also like to look at my articles on Toulmin, Rogerian and Classical argument strategies. These articles include specific instruction on how to organize and outline your essay as well as how to argue effectively for your solution. In addition, they provide samples with commentary on why these work. Finally, you ought to look at my articles on how to write a great thesis and topic sentences. You can find these by searching for my name on Letterpile, or by looking on my profile page. I have over 100 articles on writing to help you out.
SPARSH AGARWAL 9 months ago
I am preparing for writing section of PCAT exam. In the writing section, there are generally problem solution essays. It is my humble request if you could provide me with a source where there are more of problem solution sample essays, so that I can prepare accordingly and practice writing on the problems mentioned above.
Virginia Kearney 11 months agofrom United States
Problems with health can be related to disease or preventative measures like diet and exercise. Here are some easy health-related topics: How can a person with Celiac disease best manage their diet? How can students best exercise and eat to be healthy? What are the best strategies to avoid illness? How can people avoid heart disease? What is the best way to stay healthy if you have diabetes?
poo 11 months ago
i want a health related topic. like people should be concerned about their health. but what problem can i state?
Stevie Glenn 12 months agofrom Minneapolis
Great topics on education! Good sources for quick education articles.
Chris Velo 14 months ago
Thank you for all the topics to write on; I would read one section thinking that I couldn't write anything only to discover a few points I had to make into a quick essay.
Virginia Kearney 14 months agofrom United States
Hi Colleen--I'd suggest you look at my Non-Profit Research Paper article for help.https://hubpages.com/literature/Research-Paper-on-...
Colleen 14 months ago
I have a Critical Analysis & Research Writing paper due the assignment is A Good for A Community: A Research Based-Solution Essay I am having the most difficult time with this. Can you help?
Virginia Kearney 15 months agofrom United States
KyLie--That is an interesting idea. The departmental final exam for my students included a question about this topic. I will see if I can add some to the list.
KyLie 15 months ago
I would like some topics on the death of Harambe the gorilla....
Karla 16 months ago
Should have a topic about animal abuse or cruelty!
Bangladesh Page 2 years ago
Here is a lot of topics to write on. It really makes me think to write something on the topics. There are some topics here I never thought that an essay can be written! Thanks for sharing.
Virginia Kearney 2 years agofrom United States
Hi Zero, I don't exactly understand what you want. Perhaps you mean you want to write an essay about "How to find a good job?" or "Solving the difficult problem of finding a good job?"
Virginia Kearney 2 years agofrom United States
Hi mtariqsattar--I actually have also written articles about how to write essays of many types. You can search for this on Hubpages or just look for the links next to my topic ideas articles.
Tariq Sattar 2 years agofrom Karachi
Hi there VirginiaLynne, I don't know how to start but you nailed it and you seem to possess command over topics. You do justify what you have said in your profile.
Anyway, I enjoyed reading your hub - it is helpful to those who are seeking to teach essay at the college or university level, and those who want to writer such a genre of essay. That is problem-solution essay.
I would ask though about the tips to writing an essay quickly and accurately at the same time. How should you as an essay writer achieve both ends?
Virginia Kearney 2 years agofrom United States
Thanks for the ideas Jaime--I may think about putting some solution ideas into another article.
b.s.s 2 years ago
Wow!! What a great topics
Virginia Kearney 2 years agofrom United States
So glad Symphony Dunbar that you are using my site to get good ideas. You must be doing a good job writing those essays too!
Symphony Dunbar 2 years ago
I love this site. I come on here, get a topic, write an essay, get an A+, just like that!
sera 3 years ago
Thanks it helped so much
Maria Cuevas 3 years ago
I would really like environment issues. It is very passionate among many.
Virginia Kearney 3 years agofrom United States
Hi Justin--Glad this helped you. I have a 5th grade daughter and two daughters in 7th. I used to teach 6th grade myself and know that you are learning a lot about writing!
justin 3 years ago
I really like the questions for the problem and solution it makes me want to improve some mistakes I made.P.S. I'm a 6th grader.
Tessa 3 years ago
Awesome website! I'm definitely going to use one of these topics. Helped a lot. Thanks!!!!!
Hyder 3 years ago
How "Education is solution all our problem" I want to write essay this topic anyone help me
Ova ELai 3 years ago
I would like a topic on counselling a teenage who thinks is having a sexually transmitted disease or HIV
Virginia Kearney 3 years agofrom United States
Thanks Ashley--I will write some topics about that!
Ashley 3 years ago
Military life topics would be great!
djelke16 3 years ago
Great topics! Thank you so much.
Dottie 4 years ago
Thank you! This was so helpful!
Rachel 4 years ago
This website is perfect! Helped me a lot, thanks!
Lcarter 4 years ago
Virginia Kearney 4 years agofrom United States
So glad I helped you Kaiya! I know that getting the right topic and finding some good information can really help someone overcome that writer's block that makes starting an essay so hard!
kaiya123 4 years ago
This helped a ton! Anyone of these topics could easily be well written, being that there is so much information about each topic. I seriously couldn't have thought of any of these topics, and this definitely helped my essay. There was many topics to choose from, depending on the area you are interested in. It made me think about what I really wanted to write about! Thanks so much!!! :)
Maria Jordan 4 years agofrom Jeffersonville PA
A meaty and worthwhile list of subjects for anyone to pursue...most thought provoking and interesting topics. Excellent job.
Voted UP and UAI. Hugs, Maria
SaM 4 years ago
This HELPED a lot! Thanks!
Pamela Oglesby 4 years agofrom United States
You really thought of so many valid topic that are all worthy of discussion. Anyone of this topic could easily be written about and really there are so many problems, it is a bit overwhelming, but then we must start somewhere. This is a great idea for a hub and no one should have to have writer's block anymore. Voted up and useful.